The Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Multicultural Education (ODIME) + LGBTQ Resources leads the university in creating and sustaining inclusive learning environments where all members of the Mason community are welcomed, valued, and supported.
Diversity, Inclusion and Multicultural Education (ODIME) + LGBTQ Resources engages the various Mason constituents in awareness and exploration of the diversity of our campus community, identity development, and global and cultural competencies. With student support and advocacy as a primary focal area for our work, we offer services, resources, and experiences that assist students in recognizing, cultivating, and actualizing their potential to thrive and succeed at Mason and beyond. We serve as a resource to members of the Mason community who seek to strengthen their capacities to meaningfully engage and interact with people with different identities and numerous intersections to engage and co-create an inclusive and welcoming campus environment.
In service to our vision and mission, we commit ourselves to:
- Serving constituencies that have been historically underrepresented and marginalized, providing them with tools and resources to enhance their sense of belonging and help them successfully navigate the complex challenges and opportunities they may encounter during their time at Mason.
- Engaging all students and professionals, encouraging them to explore their own power, cultural identities, moving them toward greater understanding and appreciation of diversity, power, and privilege as it plays out at Mason and in broader systemic contexts
- Connecting students to one another, faculty and staff, university resources, and the community at large empowering them to create networks of support, and expand cultural and global competencies
- Building collaborative relationships with staff, faculty, administrators, and units across campus to enhance student retention and success, broaden the work of enriching the campus climate for diversity and inclusive excellence and expand educational and research opportunities on issues related to diversity, inclusion, and cultural competency
- Collaborating with our partners throughout University Life to design and implement co-curricular initiatives to engage students in experiences that enhance their leadership in, involvement with, and connection to the rich cultural diversity at Mason and to enhance the cultural excellence of University Life staff
- Strengthening the connections with University Life and other campus partners who work with and on behalf of international students to collaborate on areas of mutual concern; and strengthen cultural understanding across areas of difference, including national/international background, language, and all areas of identity
- “Doing our own work” to hold ourselves accountable: continuing our personal growth around identity exploration, cultural excellence, intercultural communications, professional development to become better leaders and collaborators, and strengthening relationships within ODIME as well as with our partners across all the Mason campuses, throughout the nation, and around the world.